MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Training after a writs operation.

I am a 54 year old woman.
    I want to Gain muscle as well as get fit.
    My Current Routine is legs and abs with some cardio/My training experience: on and off for just over a year.
    Your Current Diet: I think you call it Bulking..50% carbs,25% protein and the rest fat.

My question is this, what variety of leg and abb exercises are out there for me to do where I can train those muscles equably and where I wont get bored. At the moment I am recovering from my 3rd wrist operation. Today is the first hand therapy day, the first of lots that will run for at least 3 months. My operation ended up being much longer than was planned and very complicated. I now have 2 pins and a screw. I have been told I wont be able to lift anything,or pull until next year.

I am now working with an eating plan and a variety of leg and stomach exercises. But some help in what would be a nice sensible 4 day plan where I work all the muscles in the legs,the bum and tummy would be nice.

I have made a sort of plan with the app Jefit but Its nit enough variety.

Hoping,
    Rachel Beirne.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Are you doing machines or free weights (barbell/dumbbell) ? What exercises do you currently do? Are both wrists affected, or can you use weights one handed?

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeback303 View Post
    Are you doing machines or free weights (barbell/dumbbell) ? What exercises do you currently do? Are both wrists affected, or can you use weights one handed?
    Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk
    I don't use any free weights. I do all leg work on machines or body weight squats.
    I could/can use my right hand for dumbbells,but so far haven't tried.

Frequent Poster
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Muscular Endurance

Ok so I do barbell work almost exclusively (big home gym) but chronologically and biologically we are pretty much the same. Building muscle at our age and gender is tough. I would up the protein and cut the carbs some if it were me, but I need to keep an eye on my carb intake.

You can do suitcase carries with a kettle bell or heavy dumbell (held in good hand). That will stress both legs and core. I tend to follow Rippetoe's basic novice programming for women (5 sets, of 3 reps), but I do barbell work, and my broken finger has healed, so I have no restrictions. You could do planks (elbow) for core, and if they have a roman chair, you can do leg lifts/knee raises there. Personally I would do as much upper body as you can with your good side. Strength is strength. You can always bring up your weak side in the future.

As for working around your surgery, listen to your doctor and PT person. But I've always been one to push those limits...hard. My Ortho doc knows if he want me to not do stuff, he has to specifically restrict my orders, otherwise I tend to do whatever he forgets to tell me is off limits. So far, that has always worked well for me. But you are NOT me, so work with your doc, not against him, or around him...
    Just beginning:
    Bench 2RM 135#
    Deadlift 1RM 315#
    Squat 185# 4x5 (going up)
    OHP 92# 3RM