MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Default Maintaining as much muscle as possible

I injured my shoulder and have a partially separated shoulder per a chiropractor. I have an appointment with an orthopedic doctor next Thursday. My question is what is the best way to maintain as much muscle mass as possible while I cannot exercise with my upper body for the time being? I am thinking approximately 6 weeks.

I had been using Doug's 4 day mega-cutting routine and dropped around 20lbs over a 4-5 month period. I weighed under 200lbs for the first time in 11 years.

I cannot grasp a bar to do squats, and there is no way I am going to try and deadlift with a bum shoulder. I will most likely stick to cardio (MISS and some LISS in the morning), leg extensions, leg curls, calves, and abdominal work. I'd like to know what to expect from a lost muscle standpoint, or, if I continue to just eat at maintenance or slightly below while doing nothing besides cardio/lower body can I expect to have zero muscle loss? Please provide some perspective on what will happen while taking time off from lifting with my upper body so long as my calories are in check and my diet remains clean.

thank you

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I think you should focus on keeping your protein intake high and shoulder rehab exercises and workout routines. Ive learned a lot from Performance Place Sports Care and Chiropractic. There you will find videos and podcasts that will be helpful to you in terms of shoulder function and recovery.