Thread: Bulking help

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Bulking help

Hi everyone,
    I am new to lifting weights and I am on the verge of starting my first bulk. I lost a bunch of weight over the past year and just 2 weeks ago starting lifting weights. I was very worried about starting a bulk because I didn't want to get fat again but I have done a lot of research and learned how to count macros and eat really clean while bulking. I have been trying to find my maintenance calories for the past 2 weeks and I am not sure if my results are typical or not? I started at 183lbs and after one week of maintenance was 187lbs and now after 2 weeks I am 189. I'm 6'3" male 37 years old. I am eating 3000 Cal's a day very clean. Is this just water weight that I am gaining? Should I keep maintaining for a few more weeks to see if it levels out? Or lower calories? I think its water weight plus I have just started weightlifting so maybe it's a little muscle growth? Thanks in advance.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Mark37 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I am new to lifting weights and I am on the verge of starting my first bulk. I lost a bunch of weight over the past year and just 2 weeks ago starting lifting weights. I was very worried about starting a bulk because I didn't want to get fat again but I have done a lot of research and learned how to count macros and eat really clean while bulking. I have been trying to find my maintenance calories for the past 2 weeks and I am not sure if my results are typical or not? I started at 183lbs and after one week of maintenance was 187lbs and now after 2 weeks I am 189. I'm 6'3" male 37 years old. I am eating 3000 Cal's a day very clean. Is this just water weight that I am gaining? Should I keep maintaining for a few more weeks to see if it levels out? Or lower calories? I think its water weight plus I have just started weightlifting so maybe it's a little muscle growth? Thanks in advance.
    Hi, if you have been under-eating over the past then when eating what you need for your body and training then you will see a rise in stored glycogen (Carbs & Water) in the muscles. Stick with the current diet and monitor if you are getting fater
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Ok thanks. I will give it another week or 2 to be sure. I tried about 5 different tdee calculators plus I have an idea from the 1- 1.5 pounds I lost a week what my maintenance should be. I just didn't expect to gain weight on week 2.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The proper efficient way to bulk up is to eat lots of ]Natural products avoid dairy and processed foods. They lead to overall fat gain and affect your schedule of workout, leading to bloating at times.

**Link deleted**
    Last edited by Doug; 08-29-2017 at 03:17 AM. Reason: Advertising

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

So I am at 189 after 3 weeks. Would it be safe to say that I have found my maintenance calories and can start adding a few hundred calories to bulk.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

It actually depends on how often you weigh yourself.

I know some people advise not to weigh yourself too often, but I disagree.

You should preferably weight yourself every morning, before your shower, or something. That gives you plenty of observations so that you can properly track variation and weight progress, especially in the beginning when you're still trying to figure out your required caloric intake.

Weigh yourself everyday and look at the TENDENCY, not a specific observation.

E.g. My weight in the last few days varied between 79.5 and 82.3. Next week it could potentially vary between 79.7 and 82.5. Looking at the tendency I can see I'm gaining about 0.25Kg a week, which is just about what I want. But if I were to measure only once a week, it could lead me to interpret the data incorrectly if I were to compare a value on the lower end with another on the higher end. E.g. One reading on week 1 says 82.0, another reading on week 2 saying 81.5. Yet I'm gaining weight.

Maybe you already do that, but I'm just saying anyway.

PS. I work with Data. I obsess over this stuff.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Another reason why I'm telling you this is because years ago when I started training, if you were to ask for advise on internet forums, the response to every problem was 'eat more!'.

That sent me on the highway to lard-town pretty quickly.

Eating too much is completely unnecessary, so try to figure out as precisely as you can how much weight you're actually gaining. If you gain too much fat you'll probably then end up spending longer than necessary cutting. Worse, you might be tempted to cut too aggressively, wasting muscle in the process.

Edit:

Also, if your weight seems to be increasing by less than 0.25kg per week, but your lifts are all going up, I wouldn't bother changing the diet yet.
    Last edited by Alf23; 11-25-2017 at 12:51 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Try to eat clean, healty fats like peanut butter or oil fish and try to use olive oil when you cook, eat more proteins than carbo, and train very hard, you need to lift heavy weights to gain muscle even if you're doing 2 or 3 reps, if you want to gain muscle without fat check this course, for me it really worked, I feel great, I've gained a lot of muscle without fat and now I can see my six pack.
    https://3394c857qrbs1k58txs5pn7z9t.hop.clickbank.net/