MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Loosing fat and muscle mass

Hi,

I am pretty new to working out in general. I started working out and changing my diet in January this year. I started out at 184lb at 6" tall. In the first few months I did a lot of cardio and a lot of HIIT classes. Then I started lifting more weights (about 3 times a week) while also doing 1-2 sessions of cardio each weeks. Six weeks ago I started this program the built for the beach workout from mens fitness with an additional cardio session a week. This means I did 4 weight lifting sessions a week, as well as 2 cardio sessions. In the same time I followed a pretty strict diet of no refined sugar, no refined carbs and no animal products.

Until July I was doing fine, increasing my muscle mass while loosing body fat. But from July I lost 8lb body fat while also loosing 0.9lb of muscle mass. It's not the end of the world, I'm still happy with my results. I went from a 12.7% body fat to a now 8.5% body fat. But, why am I loosing muscle mass? Am I not eating enough? I haven't been counting calories (its not realistic for me) but I think I am anywhere around 1600-2000 calories a day. I have a vegan protein shake every morning with 22g of protein, as well as the Trans4orm Energized fat burner as a supplement. I am on a mostly plant based diet.

Thankful for any kind of help.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

that ratio is not bad. i wouldn't worry about it. .9lb of muscle is nearly nothing. what are you using to measure your body fat and calculate wheather muscle or fat was lost.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Hi sgraus!

Congratulation on reaching 8.5% body fat. Being so lean, it's easier than ever for a calorie deficit to result in muscle loss, because you don't have much more fat to lose. I agree with jack3d14, 0.9 lbs. of muscle lost isn't significant. Bumping up your calories slightly might help. At your stage of fat loss, you want to aim for slow, gradual progress rather than rapid fat loss. Try to lean down to quick and you'll tempt your body to shed muscle. In my experience it's easy to focus too much on body fat percentage, and exact quantity of muscle lost or gained. My advice is not to worry too much about these details. Eat enough protein, lift heavy, get plenty of rest and the results will come. Hope this helps.
    Robert Maxwell
    Strength Coach & Fitness Writer
    [B]