• Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Not too sure what to do.

Quick stats -

34 years old
    Body fat % - Probably between 20-25
    5'9
    158 lbs current

I currently eat at maintanence which is 2300 calories. Sometimes I fall short, sometimes dead on. My macros are P - 116g 20% F - 77g 30 % C - 289g 50%.

After weeks of struggling to hit my protein intake, overdoing carbs and fats, I finally found my groove. My protein intake always hits my goal and usually goes beyond the set total grams. My fat intake is always under my set goal and my carbs are about mid-range from how many grams are set.

So far so good in terms of how I am feeling and happy I can finally hit my protein and keep my fat intake lower. A little puzzled at my carb intake though.

I am a bit skinny-fat, but after working out for some time I am starting to see small changes in muscle. Mid section and love handles is where my pain areas are.

With that said - I don't really know if I should bother going on a small deficit (about 300 calories) or if I should do a slow bulk for muscle gain or keep it at maintenance and hope I start to balance out.

I work out at home and have some decent equipment to keep me busy. Mainly like doing BW stuff with some DB work. Currently was looking to do strength/endurance work M and F , HIIT on W , Cardio T and Thurs.

At my stats, I feel small as it is, but cannot stand having any type of belly or feeling fat. I'm not looking to be shredded, but would like to see more abs and tighten up my waist.

Just looking for some feedback of opinions or advice, maybe a story shared of similar experience.

Thanks!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

BTW - my diet is from mainly whole foods, keeping junk to a minimum and rarely supplement any protein shakes. Not in to the bloated feeling and yuck it makes me feel over time. I try to get everything by food and keep away from fast food. Everything is home cooked majority of the week.

• Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

at 5'9 and 150. Your skinny fat cause you lack mass on your body. If you diet down your skinny fat will just look worse cause you don't have size on your body to fill out your fame.
    If you bulk up and fill out your body it will help give you strenth and size so when you diet down you have the muscle to show off and it will help rid the skinny fat look.
    I would focus on adding calories and focusing on eating fairly healthy and enjoying some moderation.

join a real gym
    Do real barbell work (Squats, Bench, Deadlifts) and focus on the main compounds like a 5x5 full body routine 3x a week

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...mass-gain.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...-gains-qa.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html
    http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/mus...ass-gains.html

Philosophies, Macro intake, training , and cardio articles for you to understand and help set up what you need to do before moving forward towards more supplements or advanced workout routines.
    Focus on ad
    Team ScoobyPrep

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I appreciate the response.

Yes I am a bit skinny fat and slowly starting to get that base going. As I do appreciate your advice pertaining to a structure program at a gym, I am focused more on BW - home work outs. I do have a set of DB's and a KB along with resistance bands, dip bar, and pull up bar. I also have a weighted vest up to 40 lbs. I suffered an injury back in May, so at the current time pull ups are out of the question.

I am looking to continue for more conditioning and functional strength. Just not too sure how to fit a diet with such a workout regiment. Calisthenics is a slow process for the most part, so bulking I feel would place me gaining more fat quicker than muscle?

not too sure, cut, slow lean bulk, stay at maintenance. .

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

you're gonna want to put on muscle mass before cutting. i am 5'8" and weigh 165 at around 10% bf or less. so if you are saying you look chubby at 158lbs then you gotta put some mass on first. if you just cut the fat then you'll be sitting in the 130-140s which is extremely thin.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by jack3d14 View Post
    you're gonna want to put on muscle mass before cutting. i am 5'8" and weigh 165 at around 10% bf or less. so if you are saying you look chubby at 158lbs then you gotta put some mass on first. if you just cut the fat then you'll be sitting in the 130-140s which is extremely thin.
    That's exactly why I have not went on any cut. I don't want to be 140 lbs or so lol. That's way too light and I feel I am light enough as it is.

Maybe I should do a slow bulk and shoot for .5 lb per week gain? Only doing bodyweight stuff, so don't want to gain fat too fast.