MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Working out with herniated disk

Hello guys,
    I am new to this forum and this is my first post here, therefore I apologize if this topic already exists.

Two years ago, I was diagnosed with a herniated/bulging disk L5 S1 and I stopped working out immediately. I went through physical therapy a couple times hoping that I'll get better. I was to afraid to start exercising again because I was always more focused on strength training moves (squat, deadlift, military press) which could potentionally hurt my back even more (this is what I still think).

Recently, I went thorugh another physical therapy and I followed all the advices that my doctor gave me. When I asked him what I should do about going to gym again, he told me that I'll be fine but I should do only exercises which have back support integrations (e.g barbell curls seated, triceps extension seated and so on). I still do not know if I will be dealing with back problems all my life or this is just temporary and I can heal.

My question to you guys is what do you think I should do? What kind of exercises and for how long until I can recover completely and go back to heavy weights? I do not want to do exercises that doctor suggested for the rest of my life.

Thank you for your time you spent reading this, I will reply to your commens and answer if you have other questions.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I had fractured my spine before three years. My doctors have advised me not to sit or stand for long hours at a stretch. If I don’t do so, I suffer from a pain. However, my fracture is completely healed, but I have to follow the recommended exercises for my back for a lifetime, my doctors say. In my opinion, I feel you should not risk your back. You can follow your workouts with the advised precautions. Still, you may consult an expert advise on this before you proceed with your workout regime.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The thing with back problems is you have to take it slow. If you don't let it heal properly you can cause permanent damage and you will have to work around it for the rest of your life, it's just not worth it. If i were you i would strengthen your lower back muscles before you even think about doing heavy squats or deadlifts again. Consider doing exercises such as back extensions to develop you lower back wrong. You can still do squats and deadlifts but i would go light and make sure you have perfect form.