MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Practicing Barbell Exercises without Barbell

3 years ago I mildly injured my back from improper deadlifting form and starting with weights that were too heavy (it was my first time doing the exercise). Ever since then I stopped lifting. I got my back checked out and it's nothing serious; just really tight and weak which causes me to have soreness on a daily basis. When I stretch and do some body weight back exercises, the pain pretty much goes away as long as I'm consistent.

I'm set on starting to lift again, this time more seriously and with the goal to become stronger in general (I'm not expecting to look like Frank Medrano or anything). I'm set on doing Fierce 5, but I don't want to mess my back up even worse. I don't want to seem mentally weak, I just want to start out right. I have all the necessary equipment, but before jumping into the program even with just an empty barbell, would it be okay if I practiced form using a lighter E-Z curl bar for a week or two? Or would that be counter productive and actually cause me to develop bad form? Should I just shut up and use the empty barbell?

In case you were wondering: 21y/o, 5 foot 5 inches / 1.65m, 114lbs / 52kg. Yeah, I know
    Last edited by stiglitz; 01-03-2018 at 08:27 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Anyone? Just need some simple input.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Going back to bodybuilding.com's forum. Thanks guys!

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Hi stiglitz!

As a strength and fitness coach I encounter problems like yours often, and have even dealt with a similar injury myself. Here's my advice.

1) Keep deadlifting. Lifting injuries and resulting weakness are rarely fixed by not lifting. Don't use an EZ bar, it's the wrong shape. Start with the empty bar for a couple weeks. Then if there's no pain, gradually add weight.

2) Try sumo deadlift. If you've been deadlifting conventional, try switching to sumo. It'll feel weird at first if you've never done it, but because of the more vertical torso angle of this variation, your back will be under much less sheer force when pulling.

3) Make sure your form is good. Watch tutorial videos from experts. Once you feel you understand proper form, film yourself lifting to make sure your body's doing what it should be.

4) Stretch daily. Even after you've fully recovered from a back injury, lower back tightness can make re-injury a serious risk. That's where a daily stretching routine comes in. Here's an article on back injury treatment and prevention by my brother, a world class shot putter, who dealt with a serious lifting related back injury but came back from it stronger than ever:

Hope this helps!
    Last edited by Doug; 01-15-2018 at 01:17 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by ManFactory View Post
    Hi stiglitz!

As a strength and fitness coach I encounter problems like yours often, and have even dealt with a similar injury myself. Here's my advice.

1) Keep deadlifting. Lifting injuries and resulting weakness are rarely fixed by not lifting. Don't use an EZ bar, it's the wrong shape. Start with the empty bar for a couple weeks. Then if there's no pain, gradually add weight.

2) Try sumo deadlift. If you've been deadlifting conventional, try switching to sumo. It'll feel weird at first if you've never done it, but because of the more vertical torso angle of this variation, your back will be under much less sheer force when pulling.

Hope this helps!
    Thank you for your reply ManFactory! I have been stretching daily for the past three weeks and my back pain has actually already subsided almost completely. Your advice is very helpful, and I will be sure to look into your website.

The second link that you posted is actually the same as the first link. Do you mind posting the correct link?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Hi stiglitz!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. It seems this forum gives no notifications of replies. Glad your back is better and that my advice was helpful. Unfortunately all links I've posted have been removed since, as I now know, link posting is against the rules. However, since you already have my website address, you can find the article I intended to post by typing "back injury" into the search bar at the bottom of the page.
    Robert Maxwell
    Strength Coach & Fitness Writer
    [B]