Thread: Toning troubles

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Toning troubles

I'll try to keep this as short as possible

I'm a 21 year old female and I've been trying to lose weight/ tone for a while.

I've recently started gym again(yes it's my 2nd attempt).

I'm 5.5/6 . I weigh 155lbs and my body fat percentage is 30%.

Atm I'm cutting and having around 1000 - 1500 calories. I want to tone up but I don't want to be skinny. my aim is slim thick.

I guess my question is even though my body fat percentage is high do I still need to lose weight or could it be 'converted' into muscle. And with me eating under my recommended amount will I even gain muscle at all...

I have more questions but I'll cut it there.

Also if anyone wants a fitness buddy I'm open to something like that I feel it's good to have encouragement 😊

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Hi Kellz1000! Good questions. As a strength and fitness coach, I often hear similar inquiries. Here are my thoughts.

1) Fat cannot be converted to muscle. It's physically impossible. The first thing you should be doing is losing fat. This means staying in a calorie deficit, which it sounds like you are. In most situations muscle gain and fat loss can't happen simultaneously since gains require a caloric surplus and fat loss, a deficit. However, if your deficit isn't greater than 300-500 calories, you're lifting weights and eating sufficient protein, you won't lose muscle and might even gain some since you've just started lifting again.

2) There is actually no such thing as "toning". There is only building muscle. Many women become worried when they hear this, thinking building muscle means getting big and bulky. Not so. If you want to look toned and fit, lowering your body fat percentage to 17-20% then building some muscle is the way to do it. You won't overshoot the mark and suddenly become huge and manly. Muscle gain happens far too slowly for this to be a concern.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have further questions.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thank you ManFactory, that is very helpful.
    At the moment my recommended calorie intake to maintain my weight is around 2200 so I think I am in a good deficit (most of the time)

So going forward. I know there are more factors that would need to be looked at but does it sound pointless to do weight lifting at this point in my exercise journey.

I'm not afraid to do weights, as at the moment my main exercise is about 20minutes cardio & 40minutes weight lifting/machine work. 3 - 4 times a week

Thanks again.

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

You're welcome, glad to help.

Lifting weights is definitely a good idea, and in fact a must to build muscle and get the "toned" look you're after. Cardio alone won't build any muscle to speak of, although it's great for conditioning and burning calories. Even if you're in a caloric deficit, barbell resistance training is still crucial for gaining strength and preventing muscular atrophy (shrinkage). I recommend a simple program based on the 4 main barbell lifts: squat, deadlift, bench press and overhead press, with a couple assistance movements afterwards. Here's the program I use myself and recommend to many of my clients:
    Last edited by Doug; 02-28-2018 at 03:27 AM. Reason: advertising link deleted

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks I'll definetly focus on those however I can't see the link you've added

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Sorry about that...it seems link posting is prohibited on this forum. However, you can find the article I mentioned by going to my website (in signature), and using the search bar at the bottom to look up "old school training program". It'll be the first result in the list, not counting ads. Hope this helps!
    Robert Maxwell
    Strength Coach & Fitness Writer
    [B]

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Tone Up

Hey Kellz1000, I'm a girl who was looking to get toned myself, and I completely agree with ManFactory. I have a similar routine, and don't worry, you won't get bulky, just fit and healthy. You could swim also, if you have such opportunity, it helps me a lot to keep mu body fit.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

ManFactory nailed it, there is no such thing as toning. You just have to build muscle and lose fat over time in a caloric deficit (eat less than you burn).

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

^^ there actually IS such thing as muscle tone and it can be increased or decreased. It just doesn’t mean what the OP was referring to it as.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.