• Goal
      Get Fit

Default Not sure where to start

ok, for the basics about me.

51 years old
    5 ft 11 in
    approximately 223 lbs
    Type 2 Diabetic
    Dad body (have belly, would like to lose belly and gain in the upper body and legs)

I just joined Planet Fitness last night and not sure where to begin and what I should be doing for a workout. I have changed my diet, more protein and vegetables, cut most all sugar out of my diet for the diabetes. I could really use some advice on what to start as far as a workout and possible supplements to get me started on my way. I am dedicating myself to a 3 days a week to work out. Any help or advice would be appreciated. I am serious about getting back into shape and getting back to an active lifestyle.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Sorry to hear about that you are suffering from diabetics. I don't have better idea on this. Hope someone expert will help you.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

should be lots of beginners programs on this site.
    choose one with mainly compound movements, 2-3 times per week.
    focus on perfecting the movements rather than weight numbers & then focus on training with intensity.
    working in cardio training 2-3 times a week is great for balancing weight training and weight loss, blood pressure & heart health.
    best advice: even when you dont seem to feel results, never give up/ always keep training. its working whether you seem to notice it or not. best luck

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

A great work out that I have seemed to notice results in is do every other day weights and then metabolic. This helps balance out weight training and improves overall cardiac health. Some examples for weight training is pick out 8 different exercises that are focusing on full body strength training, these could included: planks, biceps curls, lat pull downs, dips, overhead press, front squats, back squats, lunges, deadlifts, etc. once you have 8 picked do time intervals in which you do each exercise for 45 secs on 10 seconds off. With each round you can increase weight or stay the same preference is up to you. Next do the same training but use metabolic exercises such as skaters, mountain climbers, quick body weight squats, pushups, sit ups, high knees, bear crawls, etc. I have noticed that I have lost weight and am starting to increase my muscle mass. My advice to you is when you are going to work out go with a purpose and a plan ahead of time so you are not waisting time you are in the gym thinking of what to do, productivity provides the greatest results. Hope this helps!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey so you got the right mind set and sounds like your dedicated to making a change. I'd suggest starting with body weight exercises if you don't have much experience with weights. High intensity body weight exercises will cut fat and "slim" you up. It's easy and you don't even need a membership, you can do it right in your home. This way, there is never an excuse to miss a workout.

I've trained weights most of my life and just made the switch to body weight workouts. I gotta say, I feel great. Super convenient and keeps me feeling good all day. If you're looking for some routine direction, I suggest the body weight- beast program by Chris Wilson. He gives an assortment of different workouts to keep you interested and working hard. It's great for beginners or advanced. Here's the link if you want to read up yourself:

https://bit.ly/2OGL6jB

Hope this helps!
    James Peterson, New Jersey, Changing the game of fitness