MEMBER LOGIN

• Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default All I want to do is lift, Is this harmful?

Hi all,
    I had been lifting since I was 17 on and off until I was 26. Half of that was just never really getting my diet and sleep/stress right, but always smashing my workouts.

From 26-28 I was on autopilot in the gym, not even focusing with my head elsewhere.

Now I've got everything together, first time I've got true clean eating, truly tracking what I am eating, Getting good rest, and minimal stress.

It's like a new lease of life the past 2 months. As consequence, I have never felt more healthy and mentally clear, and the only thing I find myself wanting to do is train, and train, and train.

EG1; I finished my solid leg workout yesterday, was happy with the contractions and sets and focus, however at the end my mind was like f*ck it lets do some bench press because I feel like I can.

EG2; went gym this morning for my cardio session. My shoulders feel recovered from last weeks workout, and I'm free this evening, I really want to go and train it again.

eg3; Completed my chest workout, was solid, but felt I could just do more of something else.

Examples go on, but basically I didn't continue each time as I felt it may lead to overtraining and fatigue. I'm not obsessed or anything, I had a deep think and honestly just really enjoy training again, nothing unhealthy going on.

So should I just go and keep smashing it out, or just pace it? Training naturally too, I just think that its the whole good sleep and good wholesome food diet thats caused this. Wish I actually did this years ago!

Thanks,
    GO BIG, OR.... GO HOME

Apparently, all little miss muffet eats is Whey.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

if it feels right, slam it.
    always use caution against injury, there's nothing worse than being unable to train.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I hear you man. I'd say when you hit it-hit it with everything you got til you have nothing left in the tank. After that 1-1/2 hours, rest, eat, sleep. The key the rebuilding and avoiding injuries. Nothing wrong with going hard while there though!
    James Peterson, New Jersey, Changing the game of fitness

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There's no harm in going hard at the gym, just make sure that you space out when you hit each muscle group. Give the muscles adequate time to recover, otherwise working out more frequently actually becomes counterproductive.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Yap, you going through what people who start it late go through. But I think you don't need to get obsessed. Fix your goals and strive to get them. It will not benefit you to spend a lot of your time in the Gym and you don't get the desired results. So it means that you don’t have to keep on smashing. For instance, if you choose to bulk, cardio will not help. In fact, if you want to bulk, it must be performed less frequently. The reasoning is that it burns a lot of calories and will interfere with your guest to add muscles. However, I am not saying that you obliterate it completely from your schedule. No, you can still perform it but it should be minimized. What you eat too is important. Lifting and lifting and lifting alone will not help you. The body needs the energy to lift. You must eat plenty of calories and proteins if you are lifting to add muscles. But if you are lifting to burn fats, you need to know the correct amount to eat.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

There's no harm unless you're doing it more than needed. Also, don't forget to maintain your diet.