MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default 2 years working out and not showing enough results

Greetings!

I'm new arround and I need help with something here.

I'm a 34yo 1,88m (6'22'') 86kg weight and training crossfit for the last 2 years.
    I was a sedentary thin guy, starting to have a serious belly and starting to get tired just by climbing some stairs, I ate anything I wanted just beacause I always did and haven't got fat until after 26yo.

I'm currently training hard 3 times a week crossfit and some mixed training with a PT at the gym, plus, a 5km run or weight training at home once or twice a week to complement training, when possible.

The problem is, I don't think I'm getting results that reflect the effort.

I eat dark whole bread with ham ou other protein at breakfast with some low fat iogurt, vegetabe soup + meat or fish with sweet potato or beans + fruit for lunch, and chicken meat, salmon or similar with veggies for dinner. Also I take a protein scoop with low fat, 0 lactose milk after training.
    Not much else on weekdays.

On saturdays it's screwup day but even then I don't eat anything with too much carbs or fat, aside from something like a burguer with fries or 1 or 2 pizza slices.
    I drink socially on weekends, mostly saturday nights, not binge drinking or anything like that, some beers or wine.

I train very hard, about 40 minutes + warm up on gym, I'm starting to lift some serious weight, usually don't do machines, just "free" lifting cleans, twist and jerks, pushpress, squats, burpees, pullups, deadlifts, etc. Plus spin bench and weigths at home on some days and a 5 or 6 km run on other days.

I started being a more fit guy some months ago, I can do anything without getting tired, It's easier to train, I don't get sick tired anymore when trainig, I have better posture, etc but thats it.
    Still have lower belly, I'm far from being a really fit guy, I grew on volume, got more toned but there are still a LOT of people who spontaniously say "are putting weight, you look fatter!" although I have much less fat and much more muscle.

I leave you some stats: 86,3kg, fat 16,3%, muscle 68,7%, H20 57,5, Metabolic age 23, Visceral mass or weight index - 5.

I don't know what else I can do, or what can I do differently, but for the training that I do, I feel that I should have a lean belly by now or some pecks to show when I hit the beach at least, I was expecting more, at least a bit of muscle definition. I know people who don't hit the gym, run and do a few pushups at home and are fitter than me.
    I'm not expecting to have a six pack, but hey, I have 0 to show... and it's 2 years of training, not 6 months.

What can I do differently? Are there people who can't get fit no mather what? Any ideas?

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language.

Thank you in advance

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      3-4 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

The first and most important principle of weight loss is eating less calories than you expend - but I'm sure you've heard that already. The first thing I tell anyone when they try to cut is to keep track of their calories and macros, either through an app or by actually writing them down. You might think you're doing pretty well with your diet until you actually track your daily diet and realize you might be eating too much.

If you're doing all of that, and the weight still isn't coming off, you'd probably want to try something radically different. People's bodies are super complex, and things that work for some people don't always work for others. One thing that can prevent you from losing weight is insulin insensitivity. You could try out a ketogenic diet or intermittent fasting and see if that fixes it (ketosis increases insulin sensitivity and burns fat; it won't let me post the link to the research paper but if you google "Insulin Sensitivity and Glucose Tolerance Are Altered by Maintenance on a Ketogenic Diet" you'll find it).

When people hear keto and intermittent fasting, a lot of them automatically assume that it's bs. I'm not talking about the kind of diet where you can eat as many calories you want and eat whatever you want as long a you follow the rules of the diet. As I said in the first sentence, you have to eat less calories than you expend. If you're not satisfied with your progress and want to try something different, look into it.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

From your explanation, I don't think you got it right when it comes to eating. You need to check out your eating pattern. From this explanation, it appears that you eat heavy breakfast and dinner. To me, I think you always overfeed during your breakfast and dinner. Notice that the best eating habits for people who are struggling with weight entail eating small healthy meals 5-6 times a day. This is all that you miss and I guess is the reason why you are not seeing tangible results when it comes to weight loss. You have said that you now feel much better, you don't get tired while training, you don't fall sick and so forth. They are the fruits of regular training.

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

I agree with what Arose said. For the amount of exercise you do you should be seeing some good results, it has to be your diet. I have always found that diet was the hardest part for me when I was working out. You need to check your caloric intake to see how many calories you should be consuming in a day and then ensure you are taking less then that amount in order to lose weight. There are many calories calculators online that you can use, I would start there.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

For results you mean getting lean and losing weight or getting big and shredded?