MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Question Fitness Question - Urgent!

Hey guys,

I am a sports passionate, and exercise regularly; I love to play a bunch of sports, I play Football and run frequently, but I don't do much regarding the muscles and the bodybuilding field. And that's where I'm having a urgent issue currently.

I just found out I have 1 week to get ready to perform a fitness tryout, which includes various tests, and one of them gets me struggling: the pull-ups.
    I've never been too strong of arms, and that is one of the main reasons I want to start frequenting a gym soon and regularly. But for now I don't have that option where I am, and I need to guarantee that in a week time I find myself much more capable of doing something as simple as 3 straight pull-ups.
    Right now I can barely make it, and I can't risk to fail.

So here is why I'm contacting you: I can imagine a few ways to workout my arms, but I'd like to know more about the best strategy I can adopt to make sure I get a little better in week time so I can guarantee I pass the test.

So here's a couple questions:
    - Other than my arms, what should I focus in working out? And which is the best way to do it (also for the arms)?
    - Knowing we always have to be careful while working out muscles so that antagonist areas are balanced, can you please give some tips about the strategy I should adopt?

(Obs: I measure 1,70m and weigh 73kg)

In advance, thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by ABristolian; 11-01-2018 at 12:41 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Your biceps, shoulders, and triceps are equally important. You also don’t need state of art equipment for these exercises. All you need to do is to make appropriate movements using 5-12 pounds dumbbells to target your muscles and make your arms strong. Start slowly and increase the weight with time. Unfortunately, you only have a week or so before you go for the tests. Anyway just do what you can do the rest is history.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

1 week deadline sucks
    it can take months to be able to perform several correctly

• Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

You will not see much results in a week, that is a pretty tight timeline. The best way to get better at pull-ups is practice, practice, practice. It took me a while just to work my way up to 10 and that is where i was stuck for a long time. No matter what i did i could not get past 10 pull-ups. If you are planning on going back to the gym i would start a full body fitness program, something different than what we all normally do at the gym. I recently completed the Barbrothers program and i loved it. My friend recommended it to me and i was hesitant to try it at first but now i am glad i did. I found it on spouthealth.com but i am sure you can find it elsewhere. Now i can do 25+ pull-ups with no problem and my physique is the best it has ever been. Whatever you decide to do i wish you good luck.
    Last edited by jbeam2496; 11-21-2018 at 08:05 AM.