MEMBER LOGIN

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Total reps needed during one session bench press? Long post

This post has kind of turned into a journey of benching over 300 lbs in a very short time period.

Update! I hit 300 lbs on the bench just over 6 months of working out! My journey from 140 to 300 lbs

So started lifting weights, going on 3 months now after not seeing a gym for 25 years back then I didn't know anything, still don't, just went to the gym off and on, was not a normal thing, best I remember was 275 lbs bench give or take, I have my own set up in my house now and adding equipment as I go. My first day my 1 rep max bench was 140 lbs and was working out with 85 lbs, 75 days later I'm at 225 1 rep max.

Just building for strength, my body is older and flabby not looking at any kind of body build, just lifting every three days.

I hope over some time some weight will come off, I'm adding more things to my workout as I go.

Just right now I'm feeling I'm not doing enough bench press, for example last workout Dec.24th warm up: ride stationary bike 10 to 15 minutes then bench 85 lbs x 20 then I start my bench. 125 x 10 then 145x8 then 170x6 then 190 x 4 then 200x3 then 210 x 2 then 175 x 7 - which I was all out of steam, could not press any more at that weight. (This was a 225 lbs pyramid , I have the 230,235,240,245,250 lbs pyramids on my white board I use to achieve new 1 rep max. So I accomplished the 225 lbs and I will now try the 230 lbs one next during one of my work outs.)

so to continue what I did on the 24th......

I moved on to other arm work -triceps and my arms felt good and I loaded 200 lbs on the bench and I could only do it once, then I did some shoulder shrugs finished those up and hit the bench again and got 200 x 2 without a spotter i didn't dare try another rep. second one was a battle to lockout and rack, did some other arm work and I felt pretty good and went over to my warm up bench to finish my day with my 85 lbs and I did some wide grip slow reps til my arms was on fire and I was done around 30 reps. So all in all I spent 1 hour 45 working out resting anywhere from 30 seconds to 4 minutes ( 200 plus bench stuff) between sets. I stay busy. I just feel like I don't do enough bench, my arms don't hurt, they get tired enough I can't push the heavy weights no more, I push but it feels like there is nothing there, I laugh at times, I'm pushing with all I got and the bar moves so slow.

My arms feel like they should be in pain to be growing.

I mix up my bench I will load 200 lbs and bench it 2 or 3 times all i got, rest 60 seconds, hit it again 1 or 2 reps, rest, hit it again 2 or 3 reps, sometimes four, till all my reps add up to more than last work out ( i keep track of what i do) then move on and at end of working out hit the bench again with 200 lbs and try to knock out 1-3 reps, most the time just so tired I can only bench once. Just to note I started with 200 lbs on the bench first week of December because I was done with 175lbs where I could bench it 8 times or so, so I moved up to 200 lbs so my first work out with 200 lbs on the bar looked like 200x 2x2x2x1x2x2x2x1 and at end of session I couldnt lift it off my chest-wife spotted me, proceding workouts my reps got higher and total was more and I was able to bench after session.

Every work out I achieve little records, more reps, more weight -something, so at no point since I have started have I stalled yet. always gaining.

So how many bench press reps is enough to continue strength to grow?, even tho the arms don't hurt after working out.
    Last edited by ddeennis; 04-21-2019 at 11:45 AM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

So the 30th of Dec. 2018 I did another I rep max test for end of the year, I hit 230 lbs up five lbs from the 20th I did my 225lbs, good for me, So I decided to go to 4 days a week bench, found a program on the internet one the the big boys use to achieve world record bench numbers, so I'm going off the percentages he used.

So my whole month of Jan. is planned out for bench numbers, earlier this week did the
    160 lbs- 6 sets of 6 and 170 lbs 7x5

Tonight I did 180 lbs 8 sets of 4 reps each and tomorrow I do 190 lbs 10 sets of 3 reps each. week 2 and week 3 increase the weights to 170 6x6, 180 7x5, 190 8x4 and 200 10x3, then 180 lbs 6x6, 190 7x5, 200 8x4, 210 10x3

week 4 I rest ( which I won't I will do my bike and floor exercises) and the last Sat. of the month test my new max, so I'm doing 30 something reps each work out plus about 20 reps of warm up. So we will see if this is enough to keep raising my bench number. If not I may go back to heavy loading the bar and just keep to low reps 1-3 and just keep building on those til I can like reach 8 reps of that weight and move the weight up and go back to every three days working out.

Might have to find another forum this one has low activity, about dead here.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Do you actually do anything else except bench press, what about the rest of the upper body and legs, ????
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

bike, floor exercises for lower back and core just using my own body weight at moment, warm up bench, bench, barbell curls, side lateral raise, side lateral raise bent over, hammer curls, standing triceps push away, standing straight arm pull downs, shoulder shrugs, incline dumbbells, standing dumbbell over head press, tripod dumbbell row.

That's pretty much what I do now each workout, I do have other individual exercise I rotate so I'm not doing the same thing over and over, my bike, floor, bench and curls are standard after that I switch things up from my list I have on my white board. Nothing on legs really their not worked into anything yet, later on as I get more equipment, just now got to doing something on my core and lower back, I'm in no hurry to do everything and be perfect at it.

I started about 3 months ago, with a bench and a bike and curl bar, since then I have been adding equipment, adding exercises, adding to my routine and making changes as I go. At my age just moving some weight around and feeling better is the main thing, keeping my heart rate up as much as I can to get some cardio out of it. i'm not sculpting , not trying to build big muscle, just get stronger to move my big azz around better and hopefully drop some fat, for me it's all about staying motivated and keep investing in me. While I'm at it, I'm having fun pushing the bench numbers, I would like to keep pushing that number up just because I can.

There is so much information on the net, bench slow, bench fast, bench heavy , bench light, low reps, high reps, I have read so many study's for this and that. lately been reading westside the old man seems to know his stuff. Anyways I feel like if I'm not hurting I'm not doing enough, like today I did my bench 190 lbs for 10 sets of 3, felt like I should have done more, but the program says that all that's needed. I will see at the end of the month if my 1 rep max goes up I guess, if not I will go back to my way lift a weight I can only lift one or two times, rest do it again, over and over again til I can't lift it no more. This I have been doing every time I workout and those reps go up at each workout, once I can rep that weight 8 times or so I move the weight up on the barbell to a weight I can lift one or two times and start all over again til I hit 8 reps that help me to get to 230lbs real quick.
    Last edited by ddeennis; 01-05-2019 at 11:03 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Maybe I will just use this site as a diary of sort, just something I can come back and read and add to. The traffic is so low, it seems. And maybe a few might like the read of my journey.

So I will just update my workouts, I bailed on the "program" for the month of Jan 2019 I had planned out, Felt like it was not enough bench time or weight, so I went back to my way.

December 20th 2018 I put up 225 lbs 1 time and 1 time only ( I tried 2 more times with rest but couldn't get it up). Of course, it was my 1 rep max. it meant I could not workout with that weight. I was working out with 200 lbs and I could lift 200 lbs enough in a row that the math said I could lift 225 once. It was right.

So like I said I bailed on the "program" for Jan., put 205 lbs on the bar pushed it out for several sets and reps during my workout session, then started my 235 pyramid next workout and then my 240 pyramid next session then I felt like it was time for 225 lbs on the bench and go for it.

So my first workout session with 225 was several singles, just didn't feel like i could get 2 reps, math said I should get 2-3 reps, but without a spotter I wasn't going to try, so I stuck with 1 reps, next session I warmed up did a few singles and went for 2 reps and failed, i got pinned and couldn't get it off my chest, I pushed with everything I had, yelled for the wife and she unlocked one side and I dumped the weights.

I was ****ed as 9uck, I had it in my head I could do it and the math says I had the strength to do it. Mad at myself for leaving the locks on the bar and being cocky that I had it. I put the weight back on the bench after I failed and did singles, I was pretty tired and I lost my desire to finish working out.

I got online and bought a new bench and power rack cage, getting pinned will not happen again.

So before my cage got in, my next work out session I continued with 225 lbs on the bar, I had my son spot me, well damn just like that I was putting up 225 lbs twice, I was even pause benching them for 1 second count at the chest. Amazing how one workout I go from 225x1x1x1 failed on 2 rep x1x1x1... to 225x1x1x2x2x1x1x2 with some pause work. Maybe all that time I had to hold 225 on my chest last workout yelling for my wife might have helped. It wasn't hurting me, I was getting tired holding it, i figured I would have gotten hurt dumping a solid bar over to the side and might break my bench or smash my face falling over with all that weight. Figured it was best just to hold the bar til help came.

So 225 went up much easier. After the pinned session.

Cage came in and Jan 26th 2019 put it together and the new bench, I did 245 pyramid which included 225 twice after all the other reps and I finished it off with 185 x 12 which I was out of gas( math says I can lift 257 lbs even tired based on the 185x12). did my other work and decided to try some dead bench lifts off the safety bars which I really didn't read to much about, just saw during some reading and thought what the hell give it a try.

So my goal for the end of the month is 250 1 rep max, so I loaded 250 on the cage and I benched it down to the safety bars, I reset and tried pushing it up. LOL hell no, maybe 1/4" off the bars. I tried I think 3 times, ya, it got to a point I couldn't even get it off the bars. Now in my mind how in the hell em I going to bench 250 here in the coming days if I can't move this off the bars. I know I have just worked out a full session and I'm dicking around but still I figured I should be able to push on it more than this.

So I took 10lbs off down to 240lbs and pushed on it a few times, I could get it up couple of inches but that was it. So I got out and took 10lbs off down to 230 lbs- which by the way I was thinking what the hell, I have benched 230 lbs back Dec. 30th 2018 for end of the year 1 rep max. and I figured I should be able to hit 240 even right now, but I'm failing to get this weight up.

So I pushed on 230lbs from the safety bars and I got it up, so I loaded 5 lbs on it to make 235 lbs, unracked it and set it down on the pins and let go, reset and pushed on it. it was pretty tough to rack, but I got it. Knowing how tough that was I didn't try 240 again. left it alone. I did load 225 lbs unracked it and touched the bars and pushed it back up. Just to see if that was hard or easy, it was harder then normal, so for me I knew I was pretty tired. my triceps was already hurting, my arms was spent, i was done for the day.

So I was really worried that all I can do was 235lbs dead lift, thinking I'm not as strong as the calculator is saying or the pyramids say. The pyramid says I can lift 245lbs, way can't I lift it from a dead lift?So i was worried that I might not get 250 by end of the month.

So i have been doing research about pin/dead bench press, what I have found that the dead press takes away your elastic reflex of your muscles so you wont bench your normal 1 rep max weight, it will be lower. so knowing that now, I should be ok, I should be able to power thru a 245-250 bench for a 1 rep max, I just wont be strong enough to dead press it yet.

I was thinking your 1 rep max bench and dead press was the same. Good to know it's not, so next work out I do the 250 lbs pyramid and I will do some more dead press work.

On the plus side, I got a sneak peak at my 1 rep max potential, I did 235 lbs dead press bench completely tired, which is more than my best 1 rep max of 230 back on Dec. 30 2018. From what I have found at my bench level thru research, those who compare dead press with max bench there is about 10-15 lbs difference, so adding 10 lbs to my dead press gives me 245 1 rep max bench with a possible 250 lbs max.

I have one more workout session and I get three days of rest then I test my new 1 rep max. As of this writing I feel good about a 240 max is covered with ease, I think a can squeeze out a 245, I have to see how my 250 pyramid goes. If I complete that then I should be able to get it. 250 felt heavy during the pin press and with me not really being able to move it off the pins already messing with my head thinking I can't get it. Need to change my thought on that, I already lost if I think it's true.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Worked out tonight, last workout for the month, will do 1 rep max test on Thursday for bench. I did my 250 lbs pyramid which looks like this 135x10, 160x8, 185x6, 210x4, 220x3, 230x2, 185x9 that last set 185 lbs I got out of the groove real bad and took a lot of strength to get it back and up, it just screwed the rhythm up, cost me a lot of strength. Last work out I did 12 all out. Anyways. I put up 230 lbs twice with ease so that was a new best for me tonight, so was the 220x3.

I also did some dead bench press work, tried 250 lbs unracked it and lowered it down, I couldn't budge it off the pins, went straight to 235 lbs and it went up, tried 240 and stalled out several times about 6" above the safety bars/pins, I kept pushing on it til there was no movement left in me, I reduced weight to 215 and couldn't even lift that, took it down to 165 lbs and got it up several times.

Did some other arm workouts and came back to 165 dead press bench just struggled getting it off the bars and racked it, I was so spent, nothing left in the tank. called it a night.

Math is showing I can do 240 with ease. I'm not sure about 250 lbs, damn it felt so heavy again tonight, I know I was already tired from the pyramid I can damn near get 240 lbs up off the pins for a full dead press, I got pretty good power for about the first 6 inches and it hit a dead spot. I think during a regular bench press i would power right up and thru it, so 240 should be covered. I probably can do 245 as long as I'm fresh for a 1 rep max, some of my benching reps put in this range as well.

I know the calculator isn't the best thing but it has been pretty true for me and I think it provides some psychological help, it says I can do lift a certain weight so I buy into it. Just like the pyramids say do this and you can lift that 1 time. I completed the 250 lbs pyramid but I haven't totally bought into it yet, just because I loaded it up and lowered it down onto the pins and it felt so f'n heavy. ughh. That just screws with the mind.

well I will rest for 3 days and get back and post up my new 30 day 1 rep max, Dec.30th I put up 230 lbs one time and it was a grinder, it took forever but I got it. And tonight I put 230 lbs up twice with ease during my pyramid. And a 235lbs dead press.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hi, if you want to start a workout journal you can do so in the link below

https://forum.muscleandstrength.com/...ining-Journals
    Doug

Not Joined The Forum Yet?? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER.

* My Articles and Workouts Page - Click Here

* My fitness Centre Site - www.gemini-fitness-centre.co.uk

* My Nutrition & Diet site - Coming Soon

"You can't out-train a lousy diet"

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hit 245 lbs today new 1 rep max and did it with ease, I left some in the tank, I pretty sure I could have gotten 250 or slightly more, the 245 was not a grinder at all, I had a tiny dead spot about mid way. Since I was home alone and pretty happy with how easy 245 went up. I figured let's call it a win and new best. leave some on the table.

I do know for a fact 30 days ago I struggled and had a big stall trying to get 230 lbs up and this 245 went up with ease, I really should have just loaded 250 lbs on the bar and went for it, I know I would have gotten it. But doing those dead press lifts screwed with my brain few workouts ago when I couldn't move the 250 after being tired off the safety pins and I chickened out and put on 245 and as easy as it went up after words I wished I did the 250 lbs. oh well. all is good.

So 4 months in and bench has gone from 140 to 245 lbs. I will just keep working out with 225 lbs on the bar and working my pyramid for 255,260,265,270,275,280 lbs and see how many I can get completed this Feb. 2019 and recheck my 1 rep max in 30 days.

275? sounds possible. maybe you ask how is that possible in 30 days, well my 230 1 rep max was one hell of a grinder and my 245 was real easy I probably could have hit a 255 so that would have been a 25 lbs increase and I work out just as hard I should be able to put it up, I have 5 to 10 lbs in the tank already I need to build enough strength for another 10 - 15 lbs, so 15 to 25 lbs should be possible. anyways all just talking out my azz. Check back in 30 days and we will all see what I put up.

As a note and those who are looking for information, last work out I could push 235 lbs for the dead press bench off the safety bars/pins. And my 1 rep max was an easy 245 lift. So I can for me use my 235 dead press as a gauge for my 1 rep max, what ever I can lift on the dead press add 10-15 lbs and I have my 1 rep max. other internet sources was even saying this for this bench range. It was as much as 80lbs for folks lifting around 600 lbs, dead press vs bench press

I will test this theory next month, I will keep track of my dead press, in theory I need to dead press 260 lbs to have a chance at 275 1 rep max in 30 days when I test. if anything the coming days to my next 1 rep session I will do some dead press lifts to kinda predict my 1 rep max.

I'm not going to bench press for 1 week, I'm going to do other work and then go back to bench, I read it's good to give the bench a rest every so often and I have not given my bench a rest at all for 4 months.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

2-12-2019 End of my bench session felt real good and loaded 250 lbs on bar and press it for 1 rep. New Best for 1 rep max. Left it there. Didn't aim for it, just felt good and wanted a little more challenge and thought what the h#ll and did a 1 rep of 250 lbs

2-14-2019 I did my 255 lbs pyramid - 140 x 10, 165 x 8 , 190 x 6, 215 x 4, 225 x 3, 235 x 2, 200 x 6- everything was so heavy this day I struggled even with 165 lbs and was grunting those out. damn it was all tough to lift. Tried to do some negatives with 275 lbs, I couldn't really even lift it off the rack. So I lowered it to 250 and struggled with it. Did 2 of them and removed 50 lbs and pin pressed it back onto the rack twice. Worst workout I can remember. weight was so heavy feeling. Did some research- possible dehydration, I did work pretty hard that day and I'm sure I didn't have enough water. Never thought about before. Work come home and get to it on the weights.

2-16-2019 Did an A.M. and P.M. weight lift session.

A.M. Did the 260 lbs pyramid 145 x 10, 170 x 8, 195 x 6, 220 x 4, 230 x 3, 240 x 2, 200 x 9 - and kicked butt, my last 200 lbs got it 9 times. 3 Better than last workout and everything felt lighter. really wanted to do more but I got out and waited 6 hours before I returned, got some food and drank plenty of tea and water.

Same day P.M. 55 lbs x 20, 120 x 5, 140 x 3, 160 x 3, 180 x 3, 200 x 3, 220 x 3, 240 x 3 ( yes I did it, new record 240 for 3 reps) feeling really strong loaded 255 lbs and got 1 rep- another record, yes, so I loaded 260 lbs and got that 1 rep, yes, just feeling strong. Another record. I decided to stop on the bench. I had never lifted 255lbs or 260lbs at any other time til that moment- Ok at least a few decades has passed..lol. I tried few days ago to lift 275 lbs off the rack, I did about 1" and put it back down, I was spent on that day.

Next workout I think I won't bench, just do lots of dumbbells.

Bench just keeps going up, probably doing anywhere from 30 to 60 reps of varies weights during each work out, seems to be enough to keep increasing 1 rep max numbers. I know I lift near max weight each session.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Last few workouts (18th and 20th) did a lot of pin pressing, of course set some records, my max pin press is 250 lbs, big jump from 235 lbs (23 days ago, I couldn't even budge 250 off the pins).

So tonight 2/22-2019 I went back to my pyramids and did the 265 lbs pyramid, did warm ups with 55 lbs x 20, 115 x 10, then started my workout, 145x10, 170x8, 200x6, 225x4, 235x3, 245x2 then back to 200 lbs for as many reps as I can dish out.- 200x10 so a record for me, last pyramid I did 9 reps of 200, so I gained one more rep since then. Tonight things felt heavy - I really didn't want to workout, did it anyways felt pretty good afterwords. So my heart wasn't totally into it.

My push to 275 by end of the month got 3 more workouts and then test time. 245 lbs to 275 lbs in 30 days?

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

2-24-2019 A.M. lifting session did warm up bench 55 lbs x 20, 115 x 5, then started my bench, 130 x 3, 150 x 2, 170 x 2, 190 x 2, 210 x 2, 230 x 2, 250 x 2, I did this bench session to make sure I could lift 250 lbs twice so I could do my 270 lbs pyramid. After a 4 minute rest I loaded 265 lbs on the bench and hit it for 1 rep. went up pretty decent. So another personal record.

I did some bent over rows off the cage pins and some dead lifts off the pins, figure it's time to start some heavier back work. Worked my way to to 185 lbs, no strain, just getting the feel of it and see if I like it.

My P.M. session 6 hours later - I warmed up bench 55 lbs x 20, 115 lbs x 5, then started my 270 lbs pyramid. 150 x 10, 175 x 8, 200 x 6, 230 x 4, 240 x 3, 250 x 2 and then I did 200 x 9 all out, got out of the groove and cost me some reps.

Then did some bent over rows off the pin and some dead lifts off the pins.

I know i struggled with my 270 lbs pyramid the 230,240 and 250 lbs rep range was pretty tough, I had thought about loading 270 lbs and try a 1 rep max, but I thought as heavy as the reps was I better not.

Today I hit 250 lbs for 2 reps for the first time and I hit 265 lbs for 1 rep first time. So I did very well today, I have one more workout before my 1 rep max test on Thursday.

I haven't decided if I'm going to hit it hard next workout or back off just a tad so my body can heal for Thursday test day.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

2-26-2019 Did some warm ups on bench, hit 225 x 5, 225 x 6 (PR), 225 x 5, then did some barbell rows and dead lifts incline bench with chains. Then for the first time did some over head press, ya my shoulders felt that!

Didn't try to kill myself just enough for a PR on the bench.

One month ago, I was lifting 225 lbs 1 or 2 times in a row mostly singles. So today 5 and 6 times came a lot easier, I might have been able to grind out 7, but didn't want to hurt myself a few days before a 1 rep max test. So some really nice gains 30 days later on handling 225 lbs bench.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well I did it!!!!!!!!!

55 lbs x 20
    125 x 3
    150 x 2
    175 x 1
    200 x 1
    225 x 1
    250 x 1
    275 x 0 FAILED
    270 x 1
    275 x 1 GOT IT!

did some cool down 215 and 165 lbs.

140 lbs 1 rep max to 275 lbs 1 rep max in 5 months!

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

New month got my 275 lbs bench goal few days ago. So now what, thinking of making a lofty goal of 300 lbs bench by end of March.

Going to try something different.

Big volume of bench, according to the math, I need to bench 225 lbs 10 times to bench 300 lbs or even have a chance of getting 300 lbs up one time. Last month I did a lot of near max bench pressing with heavy weights. As far as my research goes, it's not good to keep pushing so hard.

So I'm thinking something like 1,500 plus reps on the bench should do it this month. Kinda start from the bottom with lighter weight and work my way up to 10 reps on 225 lbs and beyond if I can before end of month and then try some heavy lifting near 300 lbs last week or so before 1 rep max day.

Today was my first workout this month, took a few days off after my 1 rep max test.

3-3-2019

A.M. workout, did odd things for 1 hr 45 minutes, not all of it lifting weights, did some bench work about 20 reps of some warm ups and 230,235,240 lbs, did some dead lifts, barbell rows, skull crushers, incline bench. I mostly moved some weight around, loading up my stations with some more weights and giving them a go with new heavier weight, organizing things and trying to figure out my next move, basically roaming my weight room with no plan. Until I got an idea.

P.M. workout- bench

125 lbs x 10
    130 x 10
    135 x 10
    140 x 10
    145 x 10
    150 x 10
    155 x 10
    160 x 10

So 80 reps, done plus the 20 earlier, so 100 reps today. So the plan- kinda- next workout start with 135 x 10 work my way to 170 lbs by 5 lbs increments at 10 reps each, so each work out have 80 reps of work and 20 reps of warm up, so each workout I should have 100 reps. I will get 5 workouts per week and a solid 3 weeks worth, so that puts me at 1,500 reps then whatever I get after that.

So my 80 rep idea is to slowly keep moving up the weight during each workout, whatever I did last workout, drop off the lowest 2 weight amounts and add two more heavier, if I get to a point I stall or struggle, I can drop 1 of the lowest weight reps and add just one new heavy 10 rep. Or if I get to the point I can't bench 10 reps of 225 lbs, I will stick with it til I get 10.

Maybe after a few workouts the pattern and the idea will appear. By the time I get to the 225 lbs I hope I can bench it 10 times, Last month my record was 6 reps, it took a month to gain 4 reps anyways.

Is it possible to build enough strength using lighter weights with high volume to lift a new 1 rep max. Working with weights say under 230 lbs and then time nears, start lifting near 300 lbs last few workouts before 1 rep test.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

3-5-2019

Warm up Bench 80 lbs x 20

Bench
    135 x 10
    140 x 10
    145 x 10
    150 x 10
    155 x 10
    160 x 10
    165 x 10
    170 x 10

Dead lift x 15
    Pendlay rows x 15
    skull crushers x 20

So another 100 reps on the bench. My arms was stinging doing those reps, which is good changing things up. Weight room has different feel, things moved around and reorganized sure makes it nice.

Not sure on this 100 rep bench deal, weight is getting heavy, I may not be able to keep this pace up rolling the two lowest bench weights off each session, may have to cut it back to 1, take the lowest 1 off and add a new heavier one. I know I was dead at the end of this workout, so tired.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

3-7-2019

Bench

80 lbs x 21

145 x 10
    150 x 10
    155 x 10
    160 x 10
    165 x 10
    170 x 10
    175 x 10
    180 x 10

Did some curls and triceps push a ways. I was beat from work, sore, almost skipped this session, glade I didn't, The last 180 lbs reps really took it's toll. I was so beat down tired, it was really tough to get them done.

Running rep count this month on bench 301.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Performance

Have you considered the idea that you’re benching WAY too much, are going to end up with injured shoulders, and need to be doing far more upper back work? There’s no advantage to benching (or any other single exercise) with so much volume so frequently. Read up on some Westside Barbell techniques.
    Donít chase the 1%, there is no magic training routine or diet thatís going to provide any measurable results over the basic principles for getting huge and strong: Train heavy, eat and sleep more.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

3-9-2019

A.M.

Bench

80 lbs x 20
    155 x 10
    160 x 10
    165 x 10
    170 x 10
    175 x 10
    180 x 10
    185 x 10
    190 x 10

Got them done, 100 more to the count. Starting to have second thoughts, it's a lot of benching. Thinking of maybe backing it down to 5 reps. I know in the months to this point I did like 4 or 5 reps better. To keep pushing 10 out each set, holy smokes I'm not liking that to much. Every once in a while is ok for fun, but not as a routine, at least for me.

P.M. 6.5 hrs later

80lbs x 10
    195 x 4 (not enough warm up, arms was really creaky/crackly)
    195 x 10
    200 x 11 PR
    205 x 8

5 sumo dead lifts, couple of incline bench.

I'm out of mojo, even with a nap today I'm beat, arms was tired, I bailed on the 100 reps figured I already did 100 today thought I would just load 195 lbs do ten then move up instead of lifting the lighter stuff that I have already lifted many times, the first 195 lbs knocked me out, didn't warm up properly, going to rethink this 100 rep stuff.

Doing 100 reps is killing my time, takes way to long and I am not able to get other things done, sounded good at first, a way to train myself to be able to reach 10 reps of 225 lbs. I can knock out 5/6/5 reps on 225 lbs now, just thought something different and sounded easy enough. But it's a time killer plus I miss setting new PR when I work out, doing this 100 rep stuff I'm not setting new PR, weather it's more weight or more reps or whatever I can measure as a new record for me.

I did however lift 200 lbs for 11 times which is a PR for me. Seems like someone who can benched 275 lbs should be able to do more, but the way I was training before, I do a lot of low rep and heavy weight and quickly run out of steam.

So rep count today 143 reps on the bench running count 444. See what I do next.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by EKnight View Post
    Have you considered the idea that you’re benching WAY too much, are going to end up with injured shoulders, and need to be doing far more upper back work? There’s no advantage to benching (or any other single exercise) with so much volume so frequently. Read up on some Westside Barbell techniques.
    I have been reading/watching video's everyday over the last 5 months I have been doing this( which makes me no expert lol), there is so much information out there, one can research how many reps and you can get answers from 10 to 100, many study's I have read, listen to Louie from westside for many many hours. Like to have some of his machines. Those guys who train are strong no doubt. I will still continue to read and search, what I was doing was real close to GVT which I didn't know was a thing, thought what I was doing was on it's own and in a way it is, I kept increasing weight every set 5 lbs and really I was only doing 80 count the 20 warm up really don't count. Anyways.

Even after all what I have seen and read I still think it comes down to what works for YOU. whether it's a combination of this or that, I think one has to find what their own personal body response to. For me I think I'm finding this out. I'm going to have trials and errors. 100 rep bench isn't for me, sounded good, sounded like fun, but I'm not cut out for this. Just like my dead lifts, hated the traditional way, my belly is to big and in the way, but finding out Sumo is just as good- sure slightly more or less of this or that muscle, but I find Sumo dead lifts work well for me and I like them.

So I will have to weed thru a lot of this material and content and find something that I can enjoy, I'm doing this not for others, but for me, I'm an older guy that is fat and turning gray and just way out of shape, just want to get stronger, I will never have a great body shape, because of that I shouldn't just let my body go to complete hell. If I'm going to be old and fat then at least be strong enough to do my job and to move around easy.

I use to bench press transmissions into my cars when I was younger and hang over the fender of my hotrods and install 75 lbs heads on my big block chevy motors. As the years went by I got lazy, got fat, harder to move around under cars, getting winded much quicker during sex. So I had to do something, either loose a bunch of weight or get stronger, I chose to get stronger with the hopes of weight will come off later.

I won't do none of this perfect, I'm sure it will take some time for me to figure this weight lifting stuff out, I write everything down and keep track of it all. I'm still adding to the weight room, I will get more back stuff rotated in, my legs are just recovering from the sumo dead lifts few workouts ago, did those 15 or so lifts and killed my thighs for days. I'll keep bench as number 1 workout, then add everything else after and get as much as I can in about 1 hour, much of the stuff I read 1 hour and get out.

Thanks for the reply, I'm not a know it all, just play one on the internet........lol

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

3-11-2019

Bench

80 lbs x 10
    115 x 5
    135 x 5

Pyramid
    150 x 10
    180 x 8
    205 x 6
    235 x 4
    245 x 3
    255 x 2
    205 x 5

Pendlay rows 3 x 5

Sumo deadlift 2 x 5

No more 100 rep bench, that's to much for me, went back to my pyramids. I will switch it up according how I feel, get back to lifting heavy. I feel I have wasted the first week of March with that now dumb idea I had. See if I can make up some ground.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Still been working out every two days, bench, sumo, skull crushers, incline bench, triceps push away. I do know this, I have been taking it easier, not near the effort. I even had a rushed work out that was about 10 minutes long- nothing but bench and the wife slapped the weights on between reps...LOL just didn't want to give up a day. I was pretty tired after that 10 minutes or so.

So today

3-27-2019

bench

115 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 3
    215 x 2
    235 x 1
    265 x 1
    290 x 1 new personal best oh ya!
    225 x 5

Sumo dead lift x 5

I was done, had enough. I have one more work out Friday then I have my 1 rep max test on Sunday. Right now I hit 290 lbs and it was a grinder. So not sure if I will hit 300 on Sunday or not. I have not put in the effort in this month, I started off with a stupid idea, I spent some time reworking my bench press mechanics and I have had some really short sessions, so I'm even a little surprise I got 290 lbs up. So if I don't hit 300 this end of month 1 rep test I'm sure it will be crushed next month sometime and maybe even 3 plates.

Hitting 3 plates in about 6 months time, that's real good progress yes? We will see. Got to put more effort in for sure to make it happen.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

1 REP MAX TEST DAY !

Start 6 months ago this week.

YAY ME!

New Best 295 on the bench!

Last month was 275 lbs so a 20 lbs gain for the work I did over last 30 days.

Here is how I did it.

115 x 5
    135 x 3
    155 x 2
    175 x 1
    195 x 1
    215 x 1
    235 x 1
    255 x 1
    275 x 1
    295 x 1 and it was a grinder. No way to even push any more weight I was spent.

Next month goal I'm thinking 315 lbs, that would be 20 lbs gain in 30 days.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

My pace of putting on bench press weight is kind of unheard of agreed? Wonder how long this will last.

Last week of Sept. 2018 140 lbs 1 rep max bench, Started to work out first time after being away 25 plus years.

Nov 10th 2018 200 lbs
    Dec 31st 2018 230 lbs This is when I decided to do end of the month 1 rep max tests.

Jan 31st 2019 245 lbs
    Feb 28th 2019 275 lbs
    March 31st 2019 295 lbs
    Last edited by ddeennis; 04-05-2019 at 10:31 PM.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

April 2nd new month. So what is my plan this month?

Dead press or pin press whatever term you want to use, bench press off the safety bars about 1 1/2" off my chest.

115 lbs x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 2
    215 x 1
    235 x 1
    255 x 0 failed
    235 x 1
    255 x 0 failed again - done and disappointed I have pin press 250 before.

Safety Bar Barbell Rows. I set the safety pins just below my knees, row to my belly button.

115 lbs x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5 At this weight my form was starting to break down and I was winded, not resting between reps.
    155 x 5
    135 x 5
    115 x 5 done

Overhead Press time. This session of the overhead press is a new beginning into a new move I really have not done over the last six months, so I practiced and worked my way up to 75 lbs and called it done.

1 hour working out.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

April 4th workout

Pin press in the cage.

115 lbs x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    195 x 3 (increased one rep)
    215 x 2 ( increased one rep)
    235 x 1
    255 x 1 ( didn't fail yay!)
    260 x 1 ( new PR)

Rows in the cage off the pins.

115 x 5
    135 x 5
    155 x 5
    175 x 5
    155 x 5
    135 x 5
    115 x 5 done

Time for Overhead Press, did some research, trying to figure out proper form, paid attention to tightening my azz and tightening my abs and not bounce the bar up. Adjusted my hand position so it's not so wide. Also worked on the final top shrug. Worked my way up to 85 lbs. No routine yet just working on form.

1 hour workout.