MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Starting out..again

Happy New Years to all.

I'll be turning 47 this year and I wanted to get back into building some muscle.
    When I was in my late 20's I used to frequent the gym 5 days a week, I had a great workout and a partner at the time.

I stopped due to damaging my rotator, tough pain, had to quit.

Since then I've been full-time office job, basically sitting and my current exercise routine is limited to walking/hiking and not very often.

I spent a good 5 hours ski-doing last night and now my core is basically ruined. I can't stand due to the back pain.

I don't want to worry about these types of simple injuries ruining my life due to lack of exercise and at the same time I want to get back into lifting weights again.

I need some solid advice on how to start, besides "just start". My body isn't 25 anymore and I am not sure the type of diet, heart rate or level of intensity would be recommended. I have no bad habits, I don't drink, smoke or drink coffee.. I can't have stimulants. I do eat relatively healthy, mostly whole foods, chicken etc..

I'm not over weight, I'm 6'5" 215-220 , but like I said my core is in horrible shape. Back pain is at it's all time worst.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions. Cheers.

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Well I might be of some help, no professional, but I pretty much in the same boat as you are right now, but the good news is I have 3 month head start on you and I'm feeling better my lower back stopped hurting my bench is 90 lbs higher then day one, I'm 6"3" got 100 lbs on ya and eat like crap, everyday life was getting pretty hard to move around my weight. I have an active job at times working outside, but some days I just sit at a desk and do nothing most of the day.The days I have to work, I sure feel it, damn.

3 months ago or so I "just start"

To be fair, I had been thinking about working out again for a few years, kept saying to myself I would get a weight room built,been putting off over and over again, well I finally did,still took me about 2 months before my first work out to get the room in shape enough to "just start", so I really put this off for the longest time.

I started out with a used free stationary bike for warm up 10-15 minutes, I had read much before I started, need to warm the body up and get the blood pumping. For cardio, it says I need to keep my pulse above 119 but below 150.

I have a used weight bench I got for free as well off craigslist, I ordered new weight bar off ebay and got some weights at wal-mart and bought a curling bar as well and some things.

So I started out with that, rode my bike, got my heart rate up, hit the bench first time out 85 lbs about what I could do, mess with max and hit 140 lbs and said f'ck it. Did some curls. My first work out was like 30 minutes long. What little I did with what I had I was sore, so I more reading and decided I needed some kind of routine, I knew I needed to bike to warm the body up, I knew I needed to circuit train to keep the heart rate up, meaning to stay busy and keep moving so I can benefit from the cardio and fat burning. So I built me a routine, I got me white board, and a calendar to keep track of progress.

I will say it snowballed from there, didn't have much at start, been adding every week, been buying weights, dumbbells, benches, a lot of new equipment, I would rather spend the money for a home "gym" and do this in private, I'n not the kind of person that wants the attention at a gym- hey look at that fat guy. A lot of bad folks at the gym that are just azzwipes i would rather not deal with.

So in the comfort of my own home been working away, every 3 days I worked out, make adjustments as I learn, as of this week I started a new program to see what it will do for me, little aggressive but I have already hit 230 lbs 1 rep max on bench for Dec 30th 2018 and I'm going for more in this new year.

This week I started more cardio work, doing floor exercises for my lower back, tonight I was able to do a superman, little simple things to build on, fat guy on the floor doing superman's- well it put a smile on my face, last workout I couldn't even do one. Up to this point I have only been doing upper body which has been great. I still had aches in my lower back, those floor exercises I have been doing really has helped, no pain all week long, should have started those earlier.

Anyways I could keep writing, I need to cut this short, I only know what i have read and what I have been trying. Right now, I'm happy with what I'm doing, my workouts are now anywhere from 1hr 45 minutes to 2 hours, the first 30 minutes is just cardio and lower back, then bench warm up and bench and then I start to single out muscles. lats, triceps, trap and so forth. As time goes by I read and make adjustments to my workout, I add things and take away as I learn. I'm just now starting to eat better, little things, small changes. All because I finally "just start".

Hope this helps, if anything if this fatso out of shape 47 year old can do it, surely this will encourage you.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Good day Sir.I think that the best way to start again your fitness journey is some kind of preparation period that will last about a month. And I would recomend some sort of bodyweight workouts to prepare your body for lifting weights.Lets give it an expample:
    Week one
    :3 sets of pushup ,2,3 reps before failiure
    :3 sets of pullups 2,3 reps before failiure (if you cant do the regular pullups,do them assisted)
    :3 sets of squats till falliure
    :3 sests of crunches 2,3 reps before failiure
    In the first week do this workout twice,rest 3 days betwen workouts.In the week two,if your body adjust to the workouts,add one more day(3 times per week).The goal here is to workout 3 times per week with your bodyweight,and to increase reps and sets.By doing this you will awake your muscles and joints,give them stregth,and prepare your body for the gym.My personal goal will be,20 good pushups,and 7,8 good pulups before hitting the gym again. Also strech your lower back every day,and do the mobility drils for it.Not to mention to do that for your rotator cuffs as well.Cardio workout is a must in your age,and I would do it 2 times per week if I am not on the cut,to maintain and upgrade hearth health,and also to have some basic stamina, and energy for every day life.
    When you finish "preparetion" phase (1 to 2 months) you can go to the gym,and start with full body workouts 3 times per week.
    Exampe Workout A: 3 sets of squats 6-8 reps
    : 3 sets of bench press(dumbbell or barrbel) 6-8reps
    : 3 sets of chest suported bent over row 6-8reps
    : 3 sets of biceps curl with the dumbbells 10 reps
    : 3 sets of facepulls 10-12 reps
    : 3 sets of crunches till failiure

Workout B: 3 sets of standing millitary press 8-10 reps
    3 sets of leg press 10-12 reps
    3 sets of pullups till failiure
    3 sets of incline press 8-10 reps
    3 sets of cable pushdowns 10-15 reps reps
    3 sets of cable pullover 10-12 reps
    3 sets of leg raises 10 reps
    This is just my opinion and example of what you can do,to get back in the gym Sir. I wish you all the best ,and to get back on weights as fast as posible.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Start with core training. You need to have a good stamina if you stop for that duration.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Clonus View Post
    Happy New Years to all.

I'll be turning 47 this year and I wanted to get back into building some muscle.
    When I was in my late 20's I used to frequent the gym 5 days a week, I had a great workout and a partner at the time.

I stopped due to damaging my rotator, tough pain, had to quit.

Since then I've been full-time office job, basically sitting and my current exercise routine is limited to walking/hiking and not very often.

I spent a good 5 hours ski-doing last night and now my core is basically ruined. I can't stand due to the back pain.

I don't want to worry about these types of simple injuries ruining my life due to lack of exercise and at the same time I want to get back into lifting weights again.

I need some solid advice on how to start, besides "just start". My body isn't 25 anymore and I am not sure the type of diet, heart rate or level of intensity would be recommended. I have no bad habits, I don't drink, smoke or drink coffee.. I can't have stimulants. I do eat relatively healthy, mostly whole foods, chicken etc..

I'm not over weight, I'm 6'5" 215-220 , but like I said my core is in horrible shape. Back pain is at it's all time worst.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions. Cheers.
    Hi Clonus - I have lower back pain, and I do a combination of mobility exercises + core exercises DAILY to prevent throwing out my back. Note that this is what I do in addition to regular cardio + lifting.

For mobility exercises, I do about 10-15 minutes first thing in the morning. The Nike Training App is free, and it has some good ones.

For core exercises, I do 3 or 4 of these everyday (just vary it based on my mood):
    - planks
    - side planks
    - bird dogs
    - dead bugs
    - curl ups
    - back extension

I have also made some lifestyle changes to avoid aggravating my back: sleep on medium-firm mattress, avoid super soft couches, etc.