MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Exclamation Am i doing this right

Okay, i have no clue where to begin. This is definitely going to be the dumbest most unorthodox thing im sure you will ever read here. Im a 6ft 1 inch 23 year old guy, i weigh about 145-150 (i know, not very ideal). Ive been cursed with the genetics of a walking, talking toothpick. Ive been meaning to get some upper body fitness going on for the past couple years but never get around to it, but now am pretty pressed on making it happen. I have no resources, nor am i very interested in investing in much. I have a 10lb and 20lb dumbells here at the house and have been working on a little workout i guess, but as im no fitness expert and rather continueing to look like i dumbass as i curl them (is that what its called? I have no idea, im winging it my dude), i think i would rather ask some one who knows what they're doing. Basically i want to know if im going to get much, if any results from what ive been doing here. Ive been putting about 20 minutes (give or take) doing i guess light curls of 10-15 sets of 50-75 reps, (sorry if i didnt use the correct terminology here) the 10lb everyday for a couple weeks. But i would consider them *fairly* light curls as i just sit up in bed and put them from chest to foot level and back and by absolutely no means do i take my time doing the repetitions, just make sure its a full one. Its does strain a lot and i most definitely do feel it the day after. I also have been doing around 100 pushups as im basic and watched a buzzfeed video about a 100 pushup a day challenge that looked very promising. Do not judge me, everybody starts somewhere. If youve came this far, youre a damn trooper, and i definitely look forward to your response.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hey man,

A lot to unpack there lol but main point you are 100% correct. Everyone starts somewhere. I myself was the opposite where I put on muscle rather easily but losing fat has been a long process of trial and error but you now have such a plethora of assistance with the internet.

My point behind putting on muscle or losing fat.

“Your body is built in the kitchen”

Training is an important part but all the training in the world won’t help you build muscle if you aren’t eating enough. You may very well be one of those people (which is what it sounds like) that has a very fast metabolism and will have to eat much more than the normal person.

So my initial advice is search a daily calorie needs calculator and that will help you calculate your calories. (I also go through a formula on my YouTube channel that is for losing fat but add about 600-700 calories to that formula for yourself to start). Download a food tracker (my fitness pal works great) and track how many calories you are taking in.

Start weighing yourself on a daily basis. If you aren’t gaining any weight. Eat more. Still not. Eat more. Keep that process until you start gaining about 1-2 pounds a week. Might be more for you since when you first start your body will put on mass at a quicker rate but that will plateau.

Regarding training. You don’t need any fancy equipment. There are a number of workouts you can do with those weights and body weight.

-pushups
    -dips using chair
    -curls
    -tricep extension
    -shoulder press
    -Dumbbell bench press
    -body squats
    -lunges
    -jumping jacks
    -squat jumps
    -rows

And a ton more you could look up.

You could also change the tempo. Lowering the weights slower or holding them in an under tension position. I also have some workouts like this on my channel. I’ll link my instagram below that is attached to my channel if you have any questions feel free to reach out. I’m happy to help. But maybe add some more time to your training and focus on the food and we’ll get some muscle on those bones lol!

Good luck man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Doug; 03-03-2019 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Link deleted