MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Default Looking for a good beginners workout plan and diet

Hey everyone. I am new to the forum and to fitness honestly. I am 37 and tired of feeling overweight and tired. I want to get in shape, lose weight, and build some lean muscle. I have two kids and need to be around awhile. And honestly I don't know where to start. I am about 6' 2" and 245 lbs.

I am looking for any recommendations on a beginner's plan/diet for a guy my age or a good site where I can get personalized information. I do a Google search and I am overwhelmed. I don't have a lot of money to pay for a personal trainer. I have built a basic home gym in my garage (bench, weights, treadmill, dumbbells, etc.) so I want to do this from home if possible. I am open to adding more equipment as necessary.

I also realize the kitchen is key to losing weight. Any suggestions on macros or a diet plan would also be helpful.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Tim

Coming Up The Ranks
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Honestly I think the idea of working out, eating better, macro diets , loose weight, gain muscle or whatever is just silly to do all those things at once. It's tough enough to make changes and stick to them, change your life in 5 different direction is just setting one up for failure and it won't last. just my opinion.

I say start one thing and stick to it and grow on it. That's what I did and doing, I have been posting on this forum of what I have been doing.

I started off with my personal weight room, wasn't much but I'm pretty happy with it going on close to 6 months now. Been adding and making changes.

I started out with like a 15 or 20 minute work out riding stationary bike and lifting 85lbs on bench and dumbbell curls and barbell curls and such. rested 3 days then hit it again and my session grew to over 2 hours at times. Which later I found out I was doing to much. Backed it off to 1 hour or less and go every two days and do one double on weekends. Love it now.

My bench has gone from 140 lbs to 290 lbs as of today around 6 months.

So it was about building on the idea of working out on a regular basis, most important wanting and looking forward to it. That's where I'm at now, in fact the other day I did a rush 10 minute bench press workout just so I wouldn't miss a day. I look forward to my workouts. I'm stronger, did my first perfect form push up the other day.

My weight has not changed, I still weight the same as about 6 months ago. I can feel I'm bigger in the chest and arms, I'm flat out stronger, just now in last few weeks been working in my legs with sumo dead lifts and rows, I do want to rotate in some over head press soon and some squats.

I gave up chew tobacco ( about 4 months ago) and at times I struggle with it, thinking about going and get a can and enjoy a dip. But I haven't. So I'm dealing with that. Cut out pop and made a change to tea, I still have a pop here and there. If we go out to eat I will fill my cup 1/2 or 3/4 way and only drink that and throw cup away when we leave. My wife and daughter won't bring their's they throw there's out to. Small changes, small steps.

All this takes time, mentally to adopt new changes.

My eating habits still blow, I do think about and try to make small changes to build off of.

I just think if one wants to make changes they have to bring in the changes slowly, your mind and body are set to one way and just to flip a switch and just change all at once, your will power will run out and you will loose and go back to the old ways.

My opinion work the changes in slowly, be willing to take months and years to change, you spent decades doing what you always do, it will take time to reverse it and make it stick.