MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Losing fat whilst building muscle for a beginner.

Hi,

So I recently (a month ago) started with a personal trainer from scratch, to tone my body, build muscle, and lose fat. I am already a healthy weight but am so not in shape whatsoever. I have no muscle (well I have a bit now) but all fat. Mostly around my thighs and my stomach.

I currently go to the gym three times a week, as recommended by my PT (two sessions on my own and one with her). I only have a basic, simple plan at the minute which will be changed to the 'proper stuff' after six weeks (so two weeks from now). I do both upper and lower body every session (again, just what my plan says) but no cardio. I asked my PT when I might be doing some cardio and she said I don't need it. She said that right now, I just need to focus on building muscle, and the strength training will burn the fat, and that I might not need to do any cardio for months and months, even years. Yet I have so much fat around my thighs (and my stomach but mainly thighs) which just sits there and it's my biggest insecurity. Is my PT right? She's got a degree and she's studied sport and fitness etc. so I trust her, but... no cardio? How do I burn fat?!

I should mention that I am starting to see a BIT of muscle gain (mainly in my arms, only a tiny bit in my legs) but you can hardly see it because of the fat in my thighs. I need to be able to gain muscle but burn the fat, but I can't lose too much weight because although I am a completely healthy weight, I am at the lower end.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I just need to get rid of this heckin fat.

Also, please don't come at me with a load of fitness babble, I'm not into anything fancy like body fat percentage or macros or measurements .

Thanks.

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

good job, working out.
    i'd definitely add cardio. 2 to 3 days a week 30-50 minutes wont hurt any muscle growth.
    you could also look into substituting a HIIT workout for cardio once a week.
    try to eat mostly fuel for muscle and not so much for energy to help with fat loss.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Thanks for the advice, I'd like to add cardio but my parents won't let me because they think I'm just trying to lose weight and they just get annoyed. They drive me to the gym and will only take me three times a week. I really wish my PT had said that I DO need to do cardio . Maybe when she increases the amount of days I go to the gym, I can sneak in some cardio on those extra days.

I try and eat healthy and eat lots of protein (I'm vegan so I do eat lots of veg) but I have to eat lots of carbs and I can't eat TOO healthy because my parents get annoyed and tell me I'm being daft and they think diet doesn't matter so much. I'm on a meal plan (eating disorder recovery yay) which I have been for about three years but I haven't followed it to the letter for ages now, because it's full of sugar and processed crap. My parents just use it as a calorie guide. I don't count them. I don't want to get back into that. And I can't go against them because I hate them being angry at me .

So basically all the things that you are suggesting I do, I can't do! I'm never going to look good .

• Years Exp
      20+ Years
    • Goal
      Other

you can still go for walks, walk as much as you can