MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Looking for good muscle building routine

Hi

I have started to work out but am looking for recommendations on routines for building muscle. As I am lost with all the possible workout routines there are available. I'm not quite sure where to start.

Does anyone have any recommendations for good workouts I can do a few times a week?

Many Thanks

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Hello Ralphy,

A good strength training program should be well balanced, meaning the right and the left sides of the body should be trained equally as well as the front and the back of the body, not overemphasizing one or the other. Balanced also means performing pushing and pulling exercises in proportionate measure. Ken Mannie, a strength and conditioning coach and researcher suggests that higher intensity is quite effective and less time consuming than high volume training. Make the time in the gym count even if it isn’t that long. I am of this opinion and would suggest using this approach along with focusing on a muscle group or two per day of the week until you have trained the whole body. This approach allows you to exercise all the major muscle groups of the body with time in between to recover before training that muscle group again. Depending on what equipment you have available, I would also recommend doing fewer sets and going till muscle failure in order to recruit maximum muscle fibers and more efficiently build muscle. It is also important to keep in mind the principle of overload. As you want to build muscle, you must increase either intensity, type, time or duration of your exercise in order to achieve muscle growth.