MEMBER LOGIN

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      < 6 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default amino acids - not all created equal

With a lot of weight lifting articles and supplements you read a lot about amino acids and how critical they are for muscle development and health. However, it is important to note that not all amino acids are the same as there seems to be a lot of confusion around this.

Just to start with the basics. The relevant wikipedia page is here
    Note that amino acid chains make up proteins. some amino acids are considered essential and others non-essential. When the body processes proteins it chooses what amino acids to extract and what to leave behind. This ensures the body doesn't over consume. When you get amino acids in many foods or supplements they are often "free" amino acids - not in a protein chain - and your body can no longer choose whether or not to process them.

Of particular relevance to this thread is glumatic acid which is added to many foods. Everyone here is probably more familiar with its sodium salt form, MSG (Monosodium Glutamate), which is in cambpell's soups, potato chips, just about anything instant. There are a variety of ways this gets labelled, so simply looking for MSG on the package isn't enough I'm afraid.

Why is it added to foods, though? Well, it's a so-called flavour enhancer. Technically, it's a excitatory neurotransmitter. It's naturally present in many foods, such as cheese, tomato, fish, poultry, eggs,... and so on. Adding this chemical to other foods strengthens the flavour but unfortunately it also has some pretty serious side effects. Unfortunately, there seems to be no shortage of shops selling glutamic acid supplements dismissing studies showing the negative side-effects.

Just consider this first, though, your body can get more than enough glutamic acid from the foods you eat, and if for whatever reason you don't get enough, your body can synthesize glutamic acid from other amino acids. It's very important for brain functions, but having too much is clearly a problem. Many foods include small amounts of free glutamic acid naturally with a greater proportion occurring in the proteins (non-free)

This page recognizes some of the studies and lists some of the side effects, however their 40 g/day limit doesn't actually relate to the studies in their references. That they are also trying to sell the product to treat a number of ailments which MSG has been linked to causing/worsening is particularly scary.

This page gets into rather more scientific detail but the section on endocrinology is worth reading as large doses of glutamic acid in mice and rats led to obesity and stunted growth. later in the same paper they refer to even larger doses causing reduced reproductive capacity among other problems.

This video takes a while to get the important info, but is worth watching (yes, his pronunciation of Japanese names/words is terrible)

Truth in labeling has quite a few good articles on the subject but most especially How do we know MSG causes unwanted observable reactions?, Research that says that ingestion of "monosodium glutamate" places humans at risk, and Obesity

Many papers refer to Chinese Restaurant Syndrome with about a 30% rate of prevalence in the general population. However, obviously, sensitivity to a substance is not going to be equal among all persons in a population. What is clear, however, is that the pancreatic response to MSG leads to increased appetite and thus increased consumption. The pancreas sees MSG like a sugar, which then causes an insulin response to reduce blood sugar, which then causes a very real problem of low-blood sugar, which makes you hungry. This is the main reason most folks feel hungry an hour after eating chinese food. MSG is found much more frequently, and in larger amounts, in foods in asia than in western countries but it is still quite common in North American supermarkets and restaurants (can't say I know much about it's use outside NA and Asia).

Myself, I've noticed an amazing difference from cutting out MSG (often on labels here in Japan as アミノ or ~エキス) . I'm much healthier day to day than I was before. I will admit though, that when I first made the change, a lot of foods tasted rather bland, but now I really can't stand the stuff that uses MSG -- all it took was two weeks of preparing everything from base ingredients and reading labels for natural products.

Just a closing note, while I focused above on the effects on weight, much of the research available discusses other side effects including headaches/migraines, diarrhea, deficient immune response, depression and other issues. I encourage everyone to read what's available with a critical mind. Personally, I think the industry sponsored studies aren't worth the paper they were printed on, but make your own decisions, just make them informed decisions.

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Sex Appeal
    • Training Log

Ok so this may be a terrible question. But on the first page it mentions eating less cheese. So I have to ask, How much cheese is too much... let's say per day? I'm partially italian and we love our cheese, especially in pasta. But I am trying to trim some layers. Thanks!

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by GaPeach View Post
    Ok so this may be a terrible question. But on the first page it mentions eating less cheese. So I have to ask, How much cheese is too much... let's say per day? I'm partially italian and we love our cheese, especially in pasta. But I am trying to trim some layers. Thanks!
    I suffer your fate; whenever my mother makes pasta or ravioli my bowl ends up looking like a snowy mountain, LOL. I guess, despite it almost being in our nature, it is still possible for us to slowly cut back on the amount we use. I don't think it's just us Italians though; who doesn't love a ton of cheese?

Cheese is good to have after a meal though; it cleans your teeth :P.
    "If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing properly."

"You've got to build the house before you paint it." - muscletrainerd

"Bodybuilding is a marathon; not a sprint." - Coach

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Quote Originally Posted by Frankoman View Post
    who doesn't love a ton of cheese?

I love cheese but it clogs my system up, it works in my benefit when wanting to cut fat i guess.

M&S Senior Member spartanwarrior's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

It time for me to cut i have a stationary bike at home what speed for how long is good? Should i switch speeds back and forth.
    How many times a day?
    Be lean, be big

Will rep for Zyzz posts TBtaylor52's Avatar
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Quote Originally Posted by spartanwarrior View Post
    It time for me to cut i have a stationary bike at home what speed for how long is good? Should i switch speeds back and forth.
    How many times a day?
    Whatever is 60-70% your MHR. You should do that for 45-60 minutes either first thing in the morning(on an empty stomach) and/or after your workout.
    RIP Zyzz 03/24/1989 08/06/2011. Veni Vidi Vici. Son of Zeus. Brother of Hercules. Father of Aesthetics.
    POWER LEVEL: 116,195

• Years Exp
      2-3 Years
    • Goal
      More Strength

Default great tips

I have been cutting back on useless calorie intake, eating whole wheat bread instead of white, and drinking water before meals like you said and by doing just those I have lost 12 pounds in about 3 week. + rep

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Yeah I'm also trying to lose the weight. This is a great post for everyone trying to do so. THANKS
    (HEIGHT 68 inches) (WEIGHT NOW IS 228lbs) (WAIST 38 inches) (WRIST 7.50 inches)
    Goal is to Lose weight ( fat ) to 195lb, Build muscle & maintain. Starting Weight 252lbs, Weight loss to date is 24 lbs.

• Years Exp
      10-20 Years
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Thumbs up Thanks for this thread...

I knew almost all of these you listed, but it's good to be reminded and see is put into a list of "To Do's". I am definitely cutting out my Diet Dr. Pepper now. I knew the chemicals in Diet pop was bad, but I didn't realize how bad. Thanks for the heads up

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Get Fit

Skim milk, grapefruits, low-fat cottage cheese. A banana to combat bloating. Pizza is bad but I pat down excessive grease with a napkin. If you're eating pizza, parmesan cheese is the least of your worries, it's o.k. in moderation and is relatively low in fat compared to other "richer" cheeses. I don't know if it's true but I've read that diet colas bloat you up due to the carbonation. The sweetness also makes you crave more sweets, so it puts you in a cycle for excessive sugar (or sugar substitutes) consumption. I wish I didn't enjoy soda or coffee so much, I have to have it and it took me years to like saccharin. Now I know it's bad as well so I keep trying stevia but I can't stand the taste, its more bitter than sweet to me. I don't want diabetes but if I used sugar in my drinks, I'd be type 2 by now.
    Last edited by joesl8; 09-30-2009 at 07:10 PM.

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Thumbs up Very Good

I'm going to try this for the next 8 weeks, thanks

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default Cheese

What suggestions would you put on a grilled burber, to substitute cheese and still enjoy the meal?

Is eating suppose to really be boring? Not trying to sound sarcastics or anything.

Cory

• Years Exp
      4-5 Years
    • Goal
      Get Huge

it clicks man....................I found on my cut it was seriously boring to eat but it all does come together, not today, not tomorrow but at somepoint

I actualy look forward to eating nowadays
    See Dick train, See Dick train arms and legs everyday, Dont be a chicken legged Dick!!

Ive come, Ive seen......and Im still training hard

Regular Poster
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Its in the mind, when I first started bulking I thought 'Oh great, rice/pasta and tuna everyday along with all the other carbs and meals.' Not I think its great and wouldnt want to eat anything unhealthy. In repsonse to the grilled cheese, use it as your 1 cheat meal a week

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Default Cheese

I actually do not eat grilled cheese sandwiches. I was just saying sometimes when I eat a nice burger, or sandwich, I like my cheese. I know you have to eat all things out of moderation that's all.

Thanks for the replies.

Cory

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

if its just a grilled burger with no fat used to cook it with then its just some meat with two pieces of bread. doesn't sound bad to me

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Great post mate, very useful info there for the new comers.

Thanks for posting and sharing with us

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

Default the tips

I especially like the tip about staying away from white and refined bread and pastas. That is one huge way you can help yourself get rid of unwanted fat!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Cut Fat

a tips here, thanks for the info!

what exactly is refined bread?

• Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle
    • Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Splib513 View Post
    a tips here, thanks for the info!

what exactly is refined bread?
    "White bread starts out similar to whole grain bread. The grain is processed, however. The hard, outer portion of the grain is stripped, removing fiber and many vitamins, minerals, and healthy fats that are naturally available. The remaining portion is ground to a fine powder, the enriched with a generic spray of vitamins and minerals. This is then used to bake the bread"

http://www.everydiet.org/1011/the-hi...types-of-bread
    Check out my article page!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/authors/nick-ludlow

"Like" my Facebook author page for future article updates
    https://www.facebook.com/nickludlow91

Follow my lifting log!
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/forum/threads/76483-LD-s-Journey-to-Beastdom

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Lose Weight

Second time I hear someone say avoid aspartame.

Thansk for the post buddy!
    Never give up, never back down!

• Years Exp
      6-12 Months
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Nitro Muscle Mass

Your body is getting use to your current diet so do a totally different food intake so your body will READJUST to a new stress LIKE if u wear your watch on the right wrist start wearing it on the left so your brain will reconfigure and grow new brain cells coz u created new stress or challenge however small it may seem . Good Luck !!!

**Advertising link deleted**
    Last edited by Doug; 08-31-2010 at 10:37 AM.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

im 5"10 202lbs been heavy lifting for 3 months now what can i do to keep my weight but just lose body fat percentage?

my diet consist of no soda drinks maybe just a gatorade here and there mosty water is what i drink and eat about 3 meals a day.

and what is the difference of three big meals a day as opposed to 6 smaller ones?
    Last edited by goku; 07-15-2010 at 07:21 PM.

• Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Get Huge

Quote Originally Posted by linedriver465 View Post
    Note: I obtained these tips from the forum, articles, and from my brain. Although some may be obvious, this is a start for someone who is new to cutting fat. I hope you enjoy. Feel free to add other tips if you see fit.

1. Eat oranges instead of drinking OJ
    2. Leave the skin on fruits when possible
    3. Eat raw fruits instead of fruit juices to obtain more nutrients
    4. Eat more dark, leafy, green, vegetables
    5. Avoid cheese because of the high saturated fat content
    6. Drink 100+ ounces of water per day
    7. Avoid margarine because of its high trans fat content
    8. Choose fat free and low fat milk products whenever possible
    9. Avoid white bread and refined pasta
    10. Eat whole grain bread and pasta
    11. Drink 1-2 large glasses of water before a meal
    12. Eat sufficient Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) everyday
    13. Eat complex carbohydrates such as oats and sweet potatoes
    14. Avoid midnight binging and empty calories snacking
    15. Get adequate sleep (7-9 hours per night)
    16. Take the steps instead of the elevator
    17. Take a brisk walk or jog during lunch
    18. Walk and bike instead of driving whenever possible
    19. Continue to lift weights to maintain muscles and prevent muscle loss
    20. Keep sodium intake at or below 2.5 grams per day
    21. Take a multivitamin to make up for missing nutrients
    22. Perform low-intensity cardio to burn fat
    23. Eat a deficit of 500 calories per day to lose 1 lb per week
    24. READ labels and COUNT calories
    25. Use the Muscle and Strength forum to ask any question you may have in the future about cutting fat
    hi i know it said to lift weight while cutting down but how much weight traing should u do while cutting i ?? i dont want to losse size while i am cutting. my top half is not that bad but want to losse my belly and fat of top of legs so which is best more cardio and 3 days weight traing and do i lift more weight or keep the weight down till i lost the fat i want to loose then start to bulk up abit more hope u can help

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      5-10 Years
    • Goal
      Other

Excellent information. I am going to hang this up on my door so that i can see it every day. I suggest you all do the same