MEMBER LOGIN

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      Just Started
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

Default Advice for a strength workout with a (permanently) atrophied shoulder

I'm having a hard time finding advice for this, as every search result is either the wrong information (try searching for a workout that excludes a muscle, go ahead...) or is about rehabilitation after an injury, which does not apply.

Here's my situation: My left trapezius is completely atrophied due to surgical damage to my spinal accessory nerve, which effectively paralyzed that muscle (thus the atrophy.) It will not get better, it will not recover. It has been seven years, so it is in the state it will remain in. A physical therapist isn't an option. As I cannot recover any function in it, and because I have compensated in my day to day activities, it is not considered medically necessary and is not covered. I have checked. Likewise, a personal trainer is not an option. I've got two kids and a disability check.

I have two choices: Good advice, or guesswork. I'm here for the prior.

With the exception of the trap, I'm in OK shape (and rapidly improving), but haven't done strength training in probably 15 years. I want to start again. I will be working with resistance bands.

Here's the question: What exercises can I do that will improve that shoulder without a working trapezius?

I've been searching for answers for hours and have zero to show for it.

Thanks for any help!

Just joined M&S
    • Years Exp
      1-2 Years
    • Goal
      Build Muscle

With the exception of the trap, I'm in OK shape (and rapidly improving), but haven't done strength training in probably 15 years. I want to start again. I will be working with resistance bands.

Well, as you're not used to doing lifting weights for a quality amount of time the one thing I can say is to take things a little slow.